Tuesday, May 15, 2007


Mother's Day

We had a family picnic nearby - I am still the grumpiest Mum in the west - we are going to an auction on Sat so perhaps my mood will lighten a bit after that (If we are successful I won't have to deal with scumbag real estate agents for at least 10 years. Now that is priceless.). I digress, enough of my favourite peeve - in spite of the level of stress in the house I had a lovely Mother's Day. As someone who for a short time thought that I would never have children, Mother's Day is a timely reminder not to take my brats for granted. It was such a dark time in my life, I knew that I wouldn't get through it without some sort of counselling. Some 6 months later our last attempt at IVF - and hey presto - pregnant! Of course in my naivete I hadn't really given much thought to the actual pregnancy - just the 'bundle of joy' at the end so having a high risk pregnancy was an experience in itself. Yup - Mother's Day - I do treasure it.


My MIL has no kids of her own. Her first marriage was to P's Dad when we were 20/21. (P's Mum died of cancer.) She is an amazing woman. The twins love her to bits - she is a wonderful Nan. I read an article recently saying how as a mother the author viewed grandparents as loving the child but not as much as the actual parents - sort of once removed parenting. Now she said that she is a grandmother herself and she knows that that is absolutely not true. She wrote eloquently about the genuine pleasure in meeting the grandchildren at the door and oohing and aahing over each stage of their childhood. The article reminded me so strongly of my MIL and her relationship with the twins (and their cousins). Then in Saturday's paper was an article by a new stepnana that questioned whether she was 'really' a grandma. On our picnic I wished my MIL a 'happy grandmother's Day' - and although she looked a bit embarassed and said 'but I am not a Mum' I hope she understood when I said - ah but you are a grandmother - you just skipped ahead to the best bit. She really is the twins' grandmother - they adore her and we are very fortunate to have her in our lives. So - again Happy Mother's Day Nan.
And no pincic without Stella (that is the poodle - the little girl is the brats' adored cousin Molly)...

2 comments:

Michelle said...

what a sweet post (and Hannah looks so big in that swing!) I agree, their Nan is their grandmother whether by blood or not!

The Mom said...

What a wonderful Mother's day! Hannah looks like she is LOVING the swing :) I need to get Brady to love the regular swing as much as the toddler ones - he's such a lazy bum LOL

Kit and Hannah are beautiful - you are so blessed!!!