Tuesday, August 22, 2006

This parenting business ...

Well we have done it. I attended my first Parents and Friends meeting last year. Phil is treasurer of Hannah's EI branch so he now attends the P & F instead of me. We attended their first major fundraiser in June - a trivia night - which went very well. Then on Saturday we attended our first 'working bee' - for the twins' child care centre. It brought back memeories of primary school for both of us! Only then of course it was our parents who were involved. The twins child care is a community run organisation rather than a corporation hence the moral obligation to pitch in. I also felt that because we were expecting them to 'go the extra mile' for Hannah bear that we really needed to do the same for them. It was a fun day and they had a good turnout. We did a fair bit of gardening, painting and some cleaning of chairs. The kids had fun too - especially Kit who got to play with his best friend Toby with his parents there too.





And so begins what I hope is just the start of our involvement and support in our childrens external education and care. Perhaps there will be new friends out there too - it certainly felt a bit like the first day of school for me - I could relate to All 4 My Gals entries or rather the concerns of her girls as they started out at school - what will it be like? Will I make any friends? Will it be fun? And so for a little while I felt a bit like my twins will feel in the future as they become more aware of such things as starting preschool and kindy and heaven help us high school!

2 comments:

The Mom said...

Welcome to parenthood! I think it is sooo fun to be involved, and have tried to do all I can :) You will most certainly make new friends, and Hannah and Kit, as well :) Have fun - these are the best years!!!

Michelle said...

Looks like it was a successful fun day for all!