Sunday, December 16, 2012

Nutcrackin' time

Finally Christmas is almost here and there is just a little breathing space beforehand. It has been a hectic semester....the house is decorated but with less lights out the front this year, it's been that kind of year I guess. I did however manage to make christmas bunting for the kids:



Yes we have adopted a Nutcracker theme this year. The brats' godmother gave them Ella Bella and the Nutcracker book for their birthday - they LOVED it....
and so our theme was decided. I made Kit a quilt for it.

It's got a very light fabric layer - perfect for our summer Christmas and Kit loves it - he sleeps with it and in the morning he brings it out to sit on the lounge with it draped across his lap. On movie nights he goes and gets it and snuggles with it in front of the tele - the perfect quilt - practical, pretty and loved. It makes me glad I spent the time putting it together. I even have the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies as my ringtone...
At the same time as we are waiting for Christmas with anticipation I am including in my prayers a friend whose baby was stillborn - just last month. Totally unexpected. And a little boy we know who was diagnosed with leukemia in August and still has about 18 months of treatment to face, although thank goodness he is doing well and alive....finally I need to add the families in America - the teacher in me feels a terrible ache - for the kids of course but also for the staff - we don't think about it often (thank goodness we don't need to usually) but I feel responsible for my students, for their learning and their emotional, social wellbeing...how heartbreaking to be confronted by a madman. To deal with the aftermath or to lose your life 'on the job' as some did. I hope Christmas with the aches it doubtless holds for these people  also brings some healing, faith in the beauty of the human spirit as well as our pain. Small signs of the healing that follows.....

No comments: