Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Birthdays

My babies turned 8 this year... it wasn't quite the same as turning 7 in Florence but it was pretty good. In a moment of madness I thought that it might be time to introduce separate parties - after all Hannah was really keen on a 'girls only' tea party and Kit wanted a Minecraft sleepover...but what about the girls that Kit is also friends with and the boys who are wonderful friends to Hannah? So we opted for a third 'combined' do as well. Madness Yes I know...and that was before the reality of how busy my work was going to be became clear and well before I knew that Hannah was developing croup and before I found out that the twins would be performing at a local streetfair the day before their birthday for their disability dance group. I had to withdraw Hannah from the performance as she was feverish and not well. In fact poor love had a febrile seizure on the front lawn on her actual birthday as I was locking up the house to take her to the doctors for the croup. She is such a trooper though and managed to smile and celebrate as well as fade and rest. Still there were some wonderful times and as always I am so very glad to have them in my life and here with me to celebrate their brithday. Their arrival changed so many things in my life - I can never be the same person I was before them and overall I think that my life is so much richer for having them in my care. I could not wish for more.

 Their last day as 7 year olds - Kit performed at the local festival and in the afternoon - because we thought they'd have school on their birthday we gave them a present each - Hannah's Baby Alive and Kit a Pokemon game for his ds.


 But at breakfast the next morning it was pretty clear that Hannah was not up to going to school...
 although she tried to get into the spirit of her birthday when opening the presents...
 She just couldn't do it.
 With some redipred in her and an afternoon of resting she managed to enjoy the strawberry birthday cake
Then it was time for the minecraft sleepover:



Somewhere in there the twins made their first reconciliation


 and then somewhere in there their father's band had their debut performance...
and he had to fly up to the NSW/QLD border for his uncle's funeral before returning to Sydney in time for the joint birthday celebration - a performance of The Lion Witch and Wardrobe. It was great - as you can see Hannah's favourite character was Lucy. There was party food and games run by the young actors at the end of the show. Loads of fun but such a stressful time from an organisational point of view - maybe next year we should consider taking them out of the country for it ...




No comments: